- Сначала прочитайте текст, главное не старайтесь его учить наизусть
- Слушайте аудио-историю несколько раз
- Слушайте аудио-историю и отвечайте на вопросы
Baseball Pig Text
There is a little pig. The pig wants to be a baseball player. Everyday, he practices baseball. He
practices hitting a baseball. He wants to be a big hitter.
After 10 years of practice, the pig decides to try out for the New York Yankees— the most
famous baseball team in America. He takes a direct flight to New York, then rents a car and
drives to Yankee Stadium.
He tries out for the Yankees, but the Yankees reject him. The Yankees’ manager says, «I’m
sorry. You are an amazing baseball player, but we can’t let a pig join our team.»
The pig is very unhappy. He goes home and cries everyday. Finally, his friend says to him,
«Come on, get a grip! Stop crying and try again with another team.»
The pig listens to his friend. He stops crying. He practices baseball everyday.
One day, he is reading the newspaper and he finds out that the San Francisco Giants need new
baseball players. The pig immediately flies to San Francisco.
He tries out for the Giants. The Giants are very impressed with the pig. The manager says,
«Wow, you are the best hitter I have ever seen». The Giants hire the pig and pay him 2 dollars.
In his first game, the pig hits 5 home runs! Everyone in San Francisco loves the pig! The
Giants give him a big raise. They pay him 540 million dollars!
The pig is rich, famous, and happy.
Слушаем и отвечаем на простые вопросы
- big hitter: someone who can hit a baseball very far (ie. a strong hitter)
- to try out (for): to try to get a job (usually used in sports or other performance jobs)
- direct flight: a flight with no stops, (an airplane trip with no stops)
- to reject: to say «no» to, to refuse
- «come on»: (idiom) «hurry», «do [something] now»— (always used as a command)
- get a grip: control your emotions, calm down (be calm), control yourself
- to find out: to learn, to discover (new information)
- impressed with: think (someone/something) is great
- hitter: a person who hits
- to hire: to give a job (to someone)
- home run: the biggest hit in baseball, (idiom) a very big success
- a raise: a pay increase, an increase in money (for a job)